What could Aqualung and aquaculture have in common? Jethro Tull is the answer and, more specifically Ian Anderson- the 1970s rock band’s lead singer and flutist. Anderson got into salmon farming in 1978 after purchasing a rugged, 15,300-acre estate on the remote isle of Skye in northwest Scotland.
This marvelous dish combines Scotland’s tender salmon with it’s even more famous Scotch whiskey. When you add a Jethro Tull CD playing in the background, you’ve got a real special night ahead of you (if you’re my Hungry Traveler, at least).
Salmon in Whiskey Cream Sauce
Poaching salmon gives this recipe it nice soft texture that is offset by the creamy whiskey sauce. A blended Scotch or Irish whiskey is perfect for this sauce. Don't bother wasting an expensive single malt that will only get lost in the sauce. Serve with a green vegetable and mashed potatoes or white rice.Print Pin
- Pan with high sides
- 6 Salmon steaks, skinless and boneless
- ⅔ cup Blended Scotch whiskey
- ⅔ cup Water
- 6 Black peppercorns
- 1 medium Carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 medium Onion, finely diced
- 1 large Lemon juiced with 1 tbsp put aside
- ½ tsp Dried thyme
- 3 large Egg yolks
- 2 tbsp European unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 4 tbsp Scotch whiskey
- ¾ cup Creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 tsp Horseradish sauce
- Pace all the listed ingredients before the egg yolks, season with salt and pepper. Over medium heat, poach the fish until done, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove fish to a plate and keep covered and hot. Strain and reserve poaching liquid.
- Melt the butter in the same pan over medium heat. Add flour and stir for 2 minutes. Add whiskey and keep stirring over low heat to eliminate any lumps. Add cream, horseradish, 3 tbsp poaching liquid, and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Stir well until sauce is smooth.Plate fish, cover with sauce and serve.
Calories: 468kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 212mg | Sodium: 134mg | Potassium: 946mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2192IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg