The Greeks have a wonderful way with lamb. In this traditional Easter dish, the lamb is roasted over a bed of rosemary sprigs which gives the lamb a distinct smoky, herbal flavor.
Arni me Dendrolivano – Rosemary Roast Lamb
This dish can be roasted or grilled. The rosemary sprigs lend a unique smoky herbal flavor to the perfectly cooked lamb. Served with roasted potatoes, a Greek salad, peas, and some nice bread, this roast makes for an easy and delicious centerpiece for a holiday meal.Print Pin
- Large roasting pan
- Food Processor or blender
- Instant read thermometer
- 4+ lb Leg of lamb, boneless or semi-boneless
- 10 cloves Garlic, peeled (3 cut into slivers)
- Salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Aleppo pepper (cayenne of chili OK)
- 3 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 15 sprigs Rosemary
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- Marinate – Put lamb in a baking pan. Make small, deep slits on the top and insert garlic slivers in them. Season lamb all over with salt.In a food processor, mince remaining garlic cloves. Add lemon juice, oregano, mustard, chili pepper, and olive oil. Puree. Rub mixture all over lamb and set on a counter top for at least 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
- Heat 1 side of a grill to medium-hot. If roasting, preheat oven to 500°F (260°C). Place rosemary and thyme sprigs under the lamb. Sprinkle paprika and garlic powder over top. Place baking pan on indirect heat part of grill and close top. (If roasting, turn heat down to 350°F (177°C) after 20 minutes). Baste occasionally. After 1 hour, insert an instant read thermometer into the middle of the lamb. Medium will read 135°F (57°C), medium rare 130° (54°C), and above 135°F (57°C) will be closer to well done. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 20 minutes, loosely covered with foil. Slice and serve.
Calories: 255kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 460mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 136IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 3mg