Double ka Meetha is Hyderabad’s version of a sweet French toast dessert. This ridiculously delicious bread pudding is pan-fried and then soaked and baked in cream and sugar syrup. It is served warm topped with dry fruits and almonds. Along with Khubani ka Meetha (apricot pudding), it is one of the most popular and recognizable dishes in Hyderabad. Double ka Meetha is a derivative of the classic Mughlai dessert called Shahi Tukra.
Double ka Meetha- Hyderabadi Bread Pudding
This is a fabulous treat of delicious toasted bread slices in a sweet reduced milk sauce and topped with sliced almonds and raisins.Print Pin
- small saucepan
- large saucepan
- Large skillet or nonstick frying pan
- Casserole dish
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 10 slices Whole wheat bread
- 2 cups Whole milk
- ½ cup Heavy cream
- ¼ cup Sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp Raisins (optional)
- 2 tbsp Ghee (or butter)
- Combine sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Boil and stir constantly until small bubbles appear on the surface indicating the syrup is done. Remove from heat and leave in saucepan to cool.
- Boil milk and cream in a large saucepan over medium heat. Condense milk by half, stirring constantly to keep milk from sticking to pans bottom. Remove from heat and leave in saucepan to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and lightly grease a casserole dish. Cut bread slices in half diagonally. Heat ½ the ghee over medium heat and fry half the slices on both sides to golden brown over medium heat. Repeat with remaining ghee and bread slices. As they are done, move slices to a buttered casserole dish. Overlap slices so that the entire dish is filled.
- Add rose water, if using, into the sugar water and pour over bread pieces along with the reduce milk. Let sit for 5 minutes to soak up the liquid.
- Sprinkle sliced almond and raisins over the bread pieces and cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes until the liquid is mostly dried up and thickened. Allow to rest for at least 5 minutes without lifting the foil. Serve.
Calories: 666kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 375mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 60g | Vitamin A: 637IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 304mg | Iron: 2mg