This roast pork in milk is an Italian classic known for taking an inexpensive cut of pork and bathing it in milk to create an exquisitely nutty tasting and creamy sauce. Pork loin braised in milk is a very common dish in Northern Italy, Emilia Romagna, and Lombardy. During winter season, this dish is often served for Sunday dinners and special festivities.
Maiale al Latte – Pork Cooked in Milk
Cooking meat in milk is another example of unexpected Italian culinary brilliance. This tenderizing technique infuses a relatively cheap cut of pork with the subtle sweetness of milk that becomes a creamy and nutty sauce. This recipe uses the more flavorful pork shoulder rather than the traditional pork loin. This dish goes great with a side of swiss chard sautéed in olive oil and garlic. Mashed potatoes are an excellent addition to the plate.Print Pin
- Large heavy pot with cover
- 6 lb Boneless pork shoulder, excess fat trimmed
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 6 cloves Garlic, peeled and cut in half
- 3 sprigs Rosemary (1 tsp dried)
- 2 Whole cloves
- 2 Bay leaves
- 6 Wide lemon zest strips
- 6½ cups Whole milk, at room temperature.
- Salt and pepper pork all over. Heat oil over medium-high heat and then sear pork on all sides, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and pour excess fat from pot. Lower heat to medium and melt butter in the same pot. Add garlic, sage, and cloves. Cook just until the garlic turns light brown, 1-2 minutes. Add pork and any accumulated juices. Then add milk, bay leaves, and lemon strips. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to low, partially cover, and cook without stirring for 3½ to 4 hours. Milk should be reduced by 75% and turned into light brown nuggets. Pork will be meltingly tender.Transfer to a cutting board and rest for 10 minutes before cutting it in ½ slices. Place slices on a serving platter, cover with sauce from the pot, and serve.
Calories: 568kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 83g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 228mg | Sodium: 317mg | Potassium: 1587mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 331IU | Vitamin C: 0.01mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 3mg