This recipe is another Korean banchan (side dish) found at every meal next to bowls of steamed white rice, a meat or fish dish, pickled vegetables, kimchii, a warm vegetable, and a Korean spicy stew (Jjigae). This recipe is simple and delicious.
Sigeumchi-namul – Spinach Side Salad
- Large pot or wok
- Large bowl
- 1½ lb Spinach, stems removed
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Honey
- ½ tsp Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 tsp Toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Scallion, cut into ¼-inch slices on the bias
- Fill a large bowl with ice water in the sink. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach and boil 1 minute. Quickly scoop spinach into the ice water to stop cooking. Drain and squeeze out moisture with a kitchen towel. Chop spinach 2-3 times into large chunks.In a small bowl, stir all the other ingredients. Add spinach and thoroughly mix everything together. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Frozen spinach can be used instead of fresh spinach.