This popular fast food is perfect for a quick weeknight meal. It is a quick-simmered mixture of thin slices of beef and onions cooked in sweet soy broth. Served over white rice and surrounded by pickles and a vegetable side, this is a wonderful dish to put together quickly any time. With minimal prep, a short list of ingredients, and less than a half hour cooking time makes gyudon an easy meal.
Gyudon – Beef and Onion Rice Bowl
- Large skillet
- 1 lb Boneless rib-eye steak, fat removed
- 1 tsp Instant dashi granules
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- ¼ cup Sake
- 3 tbsp Mirin
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 medium Onion, halved and sliced from stem to stem into thin crescents
- 1½ tsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 RECIPE Cooked white rice
- 1 stalk Scallion, cut into ¼-inch slices (garnish)
- Pickled red ginger, store bought
- Prep – Make rice. Cut rib-eye in half and put in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up for slicing. After a half hour, remove a half steak and cut across the grain into super thin slices. Put aside and repeat with the other half.In a large skillet, bring 1¼ cups of water to a boil. Whisk in instant dashi granules until dissolved. Whisk in soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar. Continue boiling for about 8 minutes to start reducing liquids. Reduce heat to medium, mix in onions, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add beef and stir constantly for another 3 minutes until beef loses its pink and is barely cooked through. Stir in minced fresh ginger and cook 1 minute more.Scoop rice into serving bowls and top with beef and its juices. Serve with pickled ginger and sprinkle sliced scallions around the top.
- The meat may be cooked in advance and reheated in the microwave.