Bibimbap is one of the most well known Korean dishes in both Korea as well as the world. The term “bibim” means mixing various ingredients, while “bap” means rice. Bibimbap is served as a bowl of warm white rice topped with sautéed and seasoned vegetables and a spicy gochujang-based bibimbap sauce. A raw or fried egg and sliced meat are common additions. The hot dish is stirred together thoroughly just before eating. This beautifully colored dish mixes together to create an incredibly delicious bowl of rice, meat and vegetables.
Bibimbap – Korean Rice Bowl with Meat and Vegetables
- Medium saucepan
- 8-inch skillet
- 4 CUPS Cooked rice
- 4 extra large Eggs
- 1 RECIPE Japanese carrot sticks and sliced cucumbers
- 1 RECIPE Spinach Side Dish
- 1 RECIPE Soybean Sprout Side Dish
- 1 cup Shitaki mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Soy sauce
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 RECIPE Bibimbap sauce
- Prepare all the linked recipes above, except the rice, days in advance. Make rice a few hours in advance and keep warm.Make mushroom slices by heating 1 tsp sesame oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and then mushrooms, a pinch of salt and soy sauce. Saute for 2 minutes and scoop into a small bowl.
- Assemble – Warm pre-made vegetables and meat in the microwave. Place a hefty pile of cooked rice in wide individual serving bowls and make colorful piles around the bowl. Put bibimbap sauce in individual ramekins or one bowl.In a large nonstick pan or 2 smaller, add 2 tsp vegetable oil. Fry 4 eggs sunny-side up until cooked but yolk still runny. Place an egg atop each bowl and serve with bibimbap sauce on the side for pouring into the bibimbap.
- Precooked meats and vegetables can all be reheated in the microwave.