What can be more American than a backyard cookout with hot dogs and hamburgers on pillowy rolls? Try ramping things up with your own freshly ground hamburger meat and fresh-baked homemade rolls.
With a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, these rolls take very little time to make and cook. It takes only two hours sitting on the counter proofing (rising), allowing for more time to drink beer and enjoy the sunshine with your best buds.
Homemade Hot Dog and Hamburger Buns
These buns are easy to make and can be shaped either as round hamburger buns or long and thin for hot dogs. Hamburger rolls may be topped with seeds like sesame, and poppy seeds right before baking.Print Pin
Servings: 8 Buns
- Stand Mixer with dough hook attachment
- Baking pan lined with parchment paper, wire rack
- Large bowl with lid
- Instant read thermometer
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 2½ tsp Instant yeast
- 1¼ cup Lukewarm water
- 1½ tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 3 cups Unbleached bread flour, + ¼ cup additional
- 2 large Eggs, room temperature (1 for egg wash)
- 1 tbsp Milk (for egg wash)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Make Dough – Turn on light inside oven to warm it up for proofing. In a microwave, dissolve honey in warm water (125F°/50°C). Whisk an egg with vegetable oil. In a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, mix the flour, salt, and yeast at low speed. Add honey-water mixture. Set 1 egg aside to for egg wash. Add remaining egg and oil and beat to combine. Then add additional flour, 1 tbsp at a time until the dough just starts to come together. The dough will be a little shaggy and sticky. Be careful not to add too much flour. With motor on medium-low, knead until dough becomes smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Move dough to a large greased bowl and cover with a dampened towel. Place in warmed oven to double, anywhere from 1 to 2 hours.
- Form Buns – Transfer the dough to lightly oiled work surface and punch it down to release any air. Divide the dough ball into 8 equal portions. Shape each piece into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking pan 3-inches apart. Roll into 4½-inch long cylinders for hot dog buns. Flatten hot dog cylinders slightly and either place ½-inch apart to connect or apace light hamburger buns.Cover with a towel and leave out on counter to double in size, 45 minutes to an hour.
- Bake Buns – Preheat oven to 400°F. Right before baking brush egg wash over the tops and if you want, sprinkle sesame or other seeds over the buns. If making buns for Chicago dogs, cover the sides with egg wash and liberally sprinkle with poppy seeds.Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Carefully check temperature with an instant read thermometer. Rolls are done at 190°F (88°C). Immediately move buns to a wire rack to cool and brush lightly with butter. Store in an airtight container.
- For slightly smaller Buns, divide dough into 10-12 equal pieces. For bigger buns,
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 117mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 159IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg