In truth, salads don’t play an important role in Portuguese cuisine, but this one is hearty and worth of trying. Salad vegetables like peppers, olives, and potatoes are sometimes matched with tuna or shredded codfish and served as a side or light lunch. A simple salad of lettuce in a vinaigrette will often accompany a mid-day meal.
Portuguesa Ensalada Mixta- Portuguese Mixed Salad
- Large bowl
- 1 cup Pitted green and black olives
- 1 medium Each: green pepper and yellow onion, cut into strips
- 2 large Store bought marinated red peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- 6 oz Feta cheese, cubed
- 1 small Cucumber, peeled and cubed
- 1 RECIPE Lemon Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- Combine all the ingredients in a covered jar and shake. Ingredients: ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, 4 tbsp red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 2 tbsp lemon juice, ½ tsp lemon zest, salt and pepper
- Assemble all salad ingredients in a bowl. Pour all the vinaigrette over, mix everything together and sit on the counter for an hour to meld flavors. Stir from time-to-time.
- Feel free to mix and match peppers, add marinated mushrooms and/or artichokes.
- For a heartier version to serve as a lunch, add a can of drained white meat tuna packed in oil and a few hard boiled eggs.