The Portuguese explorers brought foods like rice and potatoes to Mozambique, and returned with East African foods like bird’s eye peppers (piri-piri), sharing these ingredients with the rest of the Portuguese “Empire” around the world. The ingredients were integrated into local dishes and cooking techniques to create exciting new recipes. Shrimp Mozambique (shrimp with hot pepper sauce) over rice is one of those dishes.
Camarao Mozambique- Spicy Shrimp
This dish is a gift from the Portuguese explorers of the 1500s. Spicy chilies weren't seen in Europe before they were brought back from Africa and South America and adopted by Portuguese cooks. Chilies were used to spice up traditional dishes, and to create new dishes like chicken piri-piri and this dish, shrimp Mozambique.Print Pin
- Large skillet or wok
- 2 lb Fresh or frozen shrimp, tail left on, shells removed, and deveined.
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 medium Yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Each: ground annatto, coriander, cumin, and oregano.
- 12 oz Beer, preferably lager
- 8 tbsp Hot pepper sauce,
- 2 tbsp Parsley, minced
- 1 large Lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- Salt shrimp lightly in a colander for 5 minutes. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, pepper the shrimp and cook, turning once, until pink. About 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Add remaining butter in pan and cook onions and garlic about 6 minutes until soft. Add dried spices and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in beer and boil until reduced by half, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in hot sauce and cook another 4 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add shrimp with juices back in and warm through for 2-3 minutes more. Season to taste, sprinkle chopped parsley on top. Serve with lemon wedges over white rice.
- Leave tail shells on shrimp. Defrost frozen shrimp in cold water
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 316mg | Sodium: 1290mg | Potassium: 335mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 759IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 1mg