Adobo is easily its most famous dish of the Philippines. There are as many variations of this dish as there are regions and cooks in the country. The heavy use of vinegar and soy sauce gives adobo the subtle sour-salty taste it’s known for. This version combines chicken and pork and is sweetened with a small amount of coconut cream.
Adobo – Chicken and Pork in Vinegar & Soy Sauce
This wonderful combination of meats braised in vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and onions encapsulates the cuisine of the Philippines in a single dish. Its dynamic flavors represent centuries of colonial influences, especially Spain and China. Adobo can be made several days in advance or frozen. Serve with white rice.Print Pin
- Large skillet
- 1 lb Boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb Boneless lean pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup Palm or rice wine vinegar (or distilled white vinegar)
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1½ cup Water
- ½ cup Soy sauce
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Prepare Meats – In a pan, combine garlic, bay leaves, vinegar, salt, pepper, and 1 cup water. Add chicken and pork cubes. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add ½ cup water and continue simmering until pork seems tender, 10-15 minutes more.
- Brown Meats – Remove bay leaves and meat cubes with a slotted spoon. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok over high heat. Working in 3 batches, stir fry the meat cubes until lightly browned on all sides. Transfer to a bowl. Bring wok back hot. Repeat 2 more times, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Heat the skillet with the cooking liquid in it over medium high heat. Add soy sauce, meat cubes, and a little water if sauce is too thick. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and cook 3 minutes more. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with white rice.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.04g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 1593mg | Potassium: 585mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 21IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 3mg