In Indonesian cuisine, shrimp is often added to vegetable dishes to add protein to the dish. The same goes for the addition of small amounts of egg, fish, meat, and chicken to create a one-pot dish to have alongside rice. This one-pot dish is super easy to make and hits the spot.
Orak-Arik- Indonesian Stir-Fried Cabbage & Shrimp
- Wok or frying pan
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 medium Onion, cut in half, peeled, and sliced thin
- ¼ lb Small shrimp, cleaned (Sub: large shrimp cut into 3)
- 2 whole Bay leaves
- 8 oz Shredded cabbage
- ¼ tsp Chili powder (Sub: cayenne pepper)
- 2 large Eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat. Add onion and fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Add bay leaves and cook 30 seconds. Add the shredded cabbage, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir fry for 3 minutes until cabbage has wilted.Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Uncover and pour in eggs. Scramble with the cabbage. As soon as the eggs have set, serve in a bowl.