Nasi Kuning is a festive rice dish that is at the center of Indonesian occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, and births. Every cook takes immense pride in their rice tower and the beautiful presentation of the garnishes.
The marriage ceremony of the Minangkabau people of Sumatra have their own special nasi kuning. The bride’s family prepares a huge nasi kuning. Hidden inside are two wedding rings that the bride and groom must search for at the end of the ceremony – a rite symbolizing the search for fortune during married life.
Nasi Kuning- Indonesian Yellow Festive Rice
- Rice maker or Instant Pot
- Large round platter for serving
- 2 cups Jasmine rice or another long-grain rice
- 2½ cups Coconut milk
- 2 stalks Lemon grass, halved
- 4 leafs Daun salam leaves (Sub: bay leaves)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 large Eggs, beaten
- 2 large Hard boiled eggs
- ¼ inch Slice of rare roast beef
- 1 head Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 medium Cucumber
- 4 tbsp Fried shallot flakes
- Wash and drain the rice several times until the water runs clear. Add rice into the bowl of a rice maker. Mix in the coconut milk, lemongrass, duan salam, turmeric, and salt. Set rice to cook or if using an Instapot, follow instructions in Notes below. When rice is done, let it sit for 10 minutes without opening the cover.
- Prepare garnishes in advance. Layout and what garnishes are used is up to the cook.Boil and peel hard boiled eggs, quarter lengthwise. Beat 2 eggs and cook into a thin omelet in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Roll omelet tightly on a cutting board. Cut roll into shreds. Cut roast beef into long ¼-inch strips. Score unpeeled cucumber with a fork. Cut cucumber diagonally into ¼-inch slices. Cut thick part off the bottom of lettuce leaves.
Assemble and Serve
- On a large platter, fan individual lettuce leaves around the platter. Scoop rice into the center and pack into a tight cone with your hands. Circle the bottom of the cone with alternating egg slivers, cucumbers, and hard boiled egg quarters. Make a pile of shredded roast beef on one side and another of egg sliver on the other side. Sprinkle fried shallots over the rice. Serve at the center of the table surrounded by other dishes.