Arguably the national fruit, Vietnam loves bananas. A tropical climate makes them easy to grow. All kinds varieties are available in markets year round, from small to large, stubby to long, and sweet or starchy. Bananas have been around in Vietnam for a very long time. The first banana trees are recorded to have appeared in Southeast Asia around 5,000 BC!
Vietnamese Banana Cake- Banh Chuoi
When bananas get overripe they become a deep yellow with large brown spots. They are at their sweetest at this point, which is a good time to use them in this easy and delicious cake.Print Pin
- 8-inch round cake pan
- Wire baking rack
- medium and small bowls
- Parchment paper
- 1½ lbs Very ripe bananas
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup Whole milk
- ½ cup Sugar + 1 tsp for topping cake
- ¾ cup All-purpose flour
- Prep – Grease pie pan lightly with oil and place a circle of parchment covering the bottom. Position the rack to the middle of the oven and preheat to 375°F (190°C).Peel bananas. Cut least ripe banana in half and reserve one of the halves for garnish. Cut remaining bananas crosswise into ⅛-inch slices. Place in a bowl.
- Make Batter – In another bowl, lightly beat the egg and then beat in the milk and butter. Pour over bananas. Stir in the sugar. Slowly mix in the flour to incorporate.
- Bake Cake – Pour batter into the cake pan and shake to level the batter. Slice the remaining banana half into ¼-inch slices. Decorate the top of the cake with slices and then sprinkle 1 tsp sugar over the top. Bake for 1¼ to 1½ hours until the top is golden brown an a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.Transfer to a baking rack to cool. Cut between the cake and the pan with a sharp knife to loosen the cake. Unmold the cake onto a serving plate. Cut into slices and serve.
- Cake will deflate slightly while cooling.
Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 452mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1mg