The mouth watering and aromatic flavors of this dish are eye-opening. Vinegar is flavored by ginger, chicken thighs are gently flavored by lemongrass, and everything is braised in an onion, scallion, and garlic sauce. Served over white rice, this dish is a treat.
Vietnamese Pan Fried Chicken with Vinegar and Lemon Grass
- High-sided large skillet with lid
- Mini blender (optional)
- 1 lb Boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 stalk Lemongrass, top 5-inches of white part only, outer leaves removed, sliced paper thin
- 3 tbsp Ginger root, peeled and shredded
- 3 tbsp Rice or white vinegar
- 3 tbsp Asian fish sauce
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Cornstarch mixed in 6 tbsp water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1½ tbsp Vegetable oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Onion, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
- 2 Scallions, green part only cut into 4 pieces each
- Prepare – Cover the shredded ginger in 3 tbsp vinegar. In a bowl, mix together chicken with 2 tbsp fish sauce and black pepper. Add lemongrass and mix thoroughly. Let both sit 5 or more minutes to meld flavors. Mix cornstarch with water to make a "sludge." Add remaining fish sauce and sugar.
- Cook Dish – Heat oil and fry the garlic briefly over medium-high heat. Stir in onion wedges and then add the chicken and scallion. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook another 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in the cornstarch and ginger mixtures. Cover and cook 5 minutes more. Serve over white rice.