The Spanish love crispy fried vegetables, especially when paired with a smooth romesco sauce or creamy Aioli. This dish takes crispy eggplant slices and drizzle honey over them. It’s a real crowd-pleaser of a dish.
Fried Eggplant Sticks with Honey- Berenjenas Fritas
- Large skillet or wok
- Large bowl
- 1 medium Eggplant
- 1 cuplarge Egg
- 1 cup Flour
- 6 oz Beer at room temperature
- ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Prep – Peel eggplant and slice into ½-inch disks. Salt eggplant slices on both sides and place in a colander for 30 minutes.Whisk egg and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Whisk in beer and then slowly whisk in flour until batter becomes creamy with no lumps.After 30 minutes, rinse and thoroughly pat dry eggplant slices. Stack disks and cut into ½-inch sticks. Spread them in a single layer over paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook – Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. While the oil is heating, add eggplant sticks into the batter a mix together until each stick is coated with batter. When oil is hot, start adding eggplant sticks to the pan in a single layer, spaced a little. Cook in batches. Fry for 6 minutes, flipping, until crispy on all sides and golden brown. Transfer back to paper towels and continue frying remaining sticks.
- Serve – Transfer sticks to a serving dish, drizzle lightly with honey and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
- Leftover eggplant sticks may be stored in the refrigerator for a few days and tasted to reclaim their crunch.