This simple salad is a must on smorgasbord tables (cold buffet) in Sweden as well as all over the Nordic countries. Beets are popular in the area as the hearty vegetable grown below the ground is capable of standing up to harsh climates.
Rodbetssallad- Swedish Apple & Beet Salad
- Medium serving bowl
- 16 oz Pickled beetroot
- ½ large Apple
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp Creme fraiche (Sub: sour cream)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 pinch Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp Chopped chives, optional garnish
- Prep – Drain beets well and cut into bite sized pieces. Peel, core, and cut apple into similar sized pieces.
- Assemble Salad – Mix Beets and apple in a bowl. Stir in mayonnaise and crème fraiche. Season to taste. If a creamier salad is desired, add a little more mayo and crème fraiche. Either way, you will get a nice pink color.
- Chill and Serve – Leave salad to chill in the fridge a few hour or overnight. The pink coloring will get darker after it sets. Add a little more crème fraiche and mayo if you want to brighten it up a little. To serve, garnish with chopped chives, if desired, and serve cold.