Toast Skagen is named after Skagenrör, a fishing port at the northern tip of Denmark. Toast Skagen is typically served as a starter at Swedish dinner parties.
In its essence, Toast Skagen is a basic shrimp salad on toast. Fresh small shrimp and fresh dill are bathed in a mayonnaise-sour cream sauce that sits atop a toasted piece of good bread. In Sweden, the bar is usually raised even higher with a small scoop of caviar or a small slice of gravlax.
Toast Skagen- Baby Shrimp on Toast
- large frying pan
- 1 lb Baby shrimp, pre-cooked and shelled
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ cup Sour cream
- 2 tsp Lemon juice, cognac, or brandy
- 2 tbsp Fresh dill, chopped (+4 sprigs for garnish)
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 4 slices White sourdough toasting bread or rye bread
- 1 Scallion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp Red onion, minced
- Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- 4 Lemon wedges
- Shell the prawns and dry with paper towels. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, and brandy (or lemon juice) together. Add onion, scallion, cayenne, salt and pepper. Refrigerate.Ten minutes before serving, melt butter in a pan over medium-low heat. Fry bread slices until golden brown on both sides. To serve, mix chopped dill into bowl with the shrimp. Top each toast slice with ¼ of the shrimp mixture, a dill sprig, and lemon wedge.