These delicately flavored shrimp spring rolls are made with softened rice paper wrappers and lime-marinated shrimp that is enhanced by rice vermicelli, mint, cilantro, and peanuts. They highlight the delicious Vietnamese combination of delicate fillings with the crunch of fresh greens. Served with a classic nuoc cham dipping sauce, these handheld bites make for a fabulous appetizer or meal on the go.
Gỏi cuốn – Vietnamese Fresh Shrimp Spring Rolls
The original recipe calls for the shrimp to "cook" in lime juice for 30 minutes. As an alternative, the shrimp and lime marinade can be left in the refrigerator for 4 hours or up-to 12 hours. Serve with nuoc cham dipping sauce or a peanut satay sauce..Print Pin
Servings: 16 rolls
- Small bowl with lid
- 1 lb Medium shrimp, shelled, deveined, cut in half lengthwise
- ½ cup Distilled white vinegar
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 tsp Fish sauce
- 2 Shallots, thinly sliced (or 1 small onion)
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp Chili flakes
- ½ tsp Sugar
- 16 Rice wrappers, 6½-inch in diameter
- 2 cups Rice vermicelli, cooked and drained, Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- 3 tbsp Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp Fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp Roasted unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- Prepare Shrimp – In a small bowl, combine shrimp, vinegar, and salt. Soak on the counter for 30 minutes or until shrimp looks firm and opaque. Transfer shrimp to paper towels to squeeze out liquid. Return shrimp to same bowl and combine with lime juice, fish sauce, shallots, garlic, chili flakes, and sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, shaking occasionally. (shrimp may be marinated for up-tp 12 hours at this point.
- Make Shrimp Rolls – Set up a work area with a pie plate filled with warm water, a clean work surface, and herbs, shrimp, vermicelli, shrimp, peanuts and serving platter nearby.Alternate softening a wrapper, filling and rolling it, and then placing them on a serving platter. Replace the wrapper you'll be working on with a new one to soak.Soften each wrapper by dipping it in warm water for 2-3 minutes. Place about 1½ tbsp shrimp mixture along the bottom third of the pliable wrapper. Sprinkle over mint, cilantro, noodles, and peanuts. Fold in the sides and rolling from the bottom up to form a tight 3-inch cylinder. Repeat with remaining wrappers. Serve with nuoc cham.
- Rolls can be assembled several hours in advance. Cover them in plastic wrap and refrigerate. If they become dry, spray lightly with water.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0.2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Trans Fat: 0.003g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 341mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 0.4g | Vitamin A: 64IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg